Sunday, January 17, 2010

Changing the World, One Person At A Time

(Posted Dec. 16, 2009 on Facebook)

I was just realizing the other day that it's been about a year and a half since my grandpa died. I was thinking about the legacy that he left to me and what kind of an impact he made on my life. One thing for sure that he drilled into me was servitude.

Just to give a little back ground to his death, the very last thing that he said was to his pastor and it was something to the effect of "How can I serve you right now?" Immediately after that, he grabbed his chest, fell forward on his knees and then onto his front and died. That's at least what i'm told.

So it got me to thinking... what kind of an impact am I making on people's lives? When I leave a room, are people glad i'm gone or are they like "man, i wish that guy would come back, he's fun to be with." Not in some superficial way and man pleasing, meaning just saying things that people want to hear... but am I leaving a pleasant feel with the people I come in contact with? How am I impacting their life? For the better or for the worse?

Being that I'm a 20 something single, I frequently get called on to do the jobs that probably not many others want to do. And that's fine. I don't mind helping out in a pinch. That's what I'm there for. I don't have to necessarily 'check in' with anyone and let them know what's going on with me. Which has its advantages. I can fill in the cracks where needed.

I've been helping out with teaching the Royal Rangers at our church this past year. And it has been a blast! I have loved being able to use what the Lord has given me and mentoring/discipling the younger generation. It's funny because i'm not teaching the children of the guys that taught me. So that really keeps me on my toes theologically. lol.

But I've learned that it's fun to serve! When you're secure in who you are as a child of God, you can serve and not get credit for it and still have a blast. You get in, do the job and get out. And as far as many folks know... it just got done and they're none the wiser! I've once heard it said that if someone wants authority, don't give it to them. But when someone wants responsibility, give it to them with authority. So in that aspect, the Lord has been really teaching me stewardship and having a positive impact on someone's life.

No comments: