Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election 2008 recap

Ok, so our country has just elected our first black man to the highest office in the land, President of the United States. I'm thrilled for Barack Obama that he has made it thus far. And he will probably be a very prayed for president.

I can also honestly say that I'm scared. I'm scared for the unborn babies out there. I'm scared for the possible implications that this could have on our nation. Listen, one of the greatest thoughts that has ever entered my mind is that one day, I will personally stand before a Holy and Righteous God and give an account of my life (this is a quote I saw hanging on someones wall, so I can't take the credit for a quote like this.

But last night, I got a text message from a precious brother in the Lord and it basically said that we need to pray. This isn't a race issue for me. And it's not even necessarily a political party issue for me. Yes, I'm registered Republican and I somewhat hesitantly voted for McCain. However, I'm not looking for a political party to end the woes of the nation. I'm simply registered as I a Republican because I see that many of their issues are closer to that of a Biblical stance. Had it been a black Democratic woman that would have Biblical values and been running that platform, you can believe that I would vote for her.

But, as of today, we will have our first black man as president. Do I agree with his policies and/or religious views? Most likely not. I heard that some folks were making jokes about the segregation and making references to slavery. Folks, that's immaturity and that's not acceptable.

The Bible commands us to pray for our leaders and those in authority over us. I pray that our new president-elect will be blessed with Godly wisdom and that he would surround himself with folks that have God's heart and the countries values as the first and primary goal. I pray for his protection against assassination. I pray that the people of America and the world would pray for him and not disrespect him as they did President Bush.

(It's easy to criticize someone, but its hard to quit whining about something and pray. That isn't to say that she shouldn't speak out about injustice and right the wrongs, but its important on how we go about it.)

No comments: